Thursday, July 24, 2008

Furniture Frenzy

So, we are getting down to the wire here people....four days and counting before the Stanley household is no longer located in Dallas. Hard to believe even for me...the one that moved across the country as soon as the cap and gown came off just for a change of scenery.

John decided to take today and tomorrow off after much coercion and downright fit throwing done by yours truly. What is wrong with men? They have no concept that yes our house is going to be crawling with people eager to pack all of our belongings and no we don't want to be washing towels as this takes place...that has to be done already. AND while we love our dog, probably not the best idea to have him underfoot and growling at all the strangers in the house. I digress....so he took off and we have been going strong with the organization since 6:30 this morning. I know, impressive even if I do say so myself.

So to top off the day, we decided to figure out what furniture we would rent for our apartment in Tokyo. Surprisingly, most of my choices are Asian influenced. I must say, I've never really thought much about Asian decor. Not that I don't like it mind you, I have a friend that has some great stuff in her house and it's all Asian, just hasn't ever appealed to me before. But I'm so excited about all the stuff that we picked out. The one piece that I was really excited about was the crab chair...I know doesn't really sound all that appealing, but it'll be great. The foyer in our apartment and every apartment that we went to is fairly large since everyone has to stop and take off their shoes before coming any further. It'll be interesting getting used to it, but the crab seat is so that we'll have somewhere to sit down while our shoes come off.

Japanese lessons update: We are still racing through the survival skills class. I have to say that most of our classes I leave feeling like a Japanese rockstar, but Wednesday was a totally different story. Our sensai asked me something about my kohi (coffee), which is a noun that we learned our first lesson not to mention one of my favorite things and I'm pretty sure my face looked as blank as my mind felt. Oh well, there's always another lesson. Just hoping that it isn't a preview of how I'm going to feel when we get there.

Until next time......Jennifer desu

4 comments:

Renner Romig said...

Jenn, I love your blog and it has made me laugh one too many times! You are so funny and will always bring a smile to my face. I am so excited for your adventure and look forward to keeping up with you on your blog. Thank you so much for starting one to keep us all up-to-date as you travel/live abroad!

marcia said...

Hi, friend! Love the crab chair and think it's cool you're going with the Asian theme . . . hey, when in Tokyo . . . plus, I know you will find a way to add some Texas flair! I'm hoping to find a way to visit while you're there, and have dutifully added the blog to my faves. You should add some more pics! I've never seen your Dallas house, and would love to get a glimpse of it before you vacate.

Wendy said...

Hey Jennifer! It is so good to catch up on everything that is going on with you. I would love to actually hear you speak Japanese. :) Reading it is funny enough but actually hearing you say it would be priceless. I know that you are always up for another adventure so I'm sure this is going to be great. How is your mom doing with all of this??

Unknown said...

Jenny, Kaitlyn and I want to wish you and your family the best while abroad. Hope all goes well with the move and look forward to reading your blog.

Take care,
Josh Gallander