Tuesday, July 29, 2008

One if by land, two if by sea...and up up and away

Well, you get the drift. On Monday our house was swarmed with husky men armed with boxes and tape to get us all packed up. They started at 9 and left at 5 and our house slowly disappeared into brown boxes or brown wrapping. It was amazing actually to think about how fast they are. So basically John and I just moved from room to room to outpace the packing of chairs and tried to stay out of the way. And at the days end 150 pounds of Johns stuff was all packed up to get to Tokyo before he does.

Then it all started again on Tuesday, except this time there was a huge shipping container backed into the driveway ready for loading. It took two hours for all our Japanese destination furnishings to be loaded up ready for the ship. Then they finished packing the stuff for storage and moved it all to the first floor. I still can't quite believe that the time is really here and we are doing this. But the furniture marked for storage gets one more day in the house. The guys said that it'll probably only take them 2 hours tomorrow to empty everything. I'm so sad to be leaving our house. Our first house together...very monumental. Now we all need to cross our fingers that all the stuff in that shipping container can fit into our apartment!!! John looked at all the closet necessities going and just shook his head. So, if there isn't enough room, pretty sure I'm going to be the one in trouble. What can I say...I'm not prepared to downsize my wardrobe.

Here are some pics from the last two days (with commentary from John, aka the husband).



On a personal note, my mom had surgery today, so please say a little prayer for her and my grandparents that haven't been in the best health lately.

C'est la vie.....Jenn

3 comments:

marcia said...

What a cute place you guys are leaving behind. Are you renting or selling it? Jenn, I am optimistic that you will be able to find a place for everything in the sea container . . . please tell your mama I am thinking of her and hoping her recovery period passes quickly.

Elizabeth said...

60 pairs? 60 are GOING? i had no idea you were such a pack rat! a monumental day for sure but think of how exciting it will be when you get to open all of that stuff in tokyo and have a little bit of home with you.

Renner Romig said...

I bet this has been the most interesting experience just having to pack all of the essentials into a sea container. How neat! I loved reading everything and got such a kick out of the 60 shoes! I will keep your Mom in my prayers for a quick recovery. Keep us posted please on all of your happenings.