Friday, September 5, 2008

Welcome to Tokyo.....

Hi friends, so I finally made it to the lovely city of Tokyo last night. It was quite an adventure getting here....

I have to leave my parents at 7:00am to catch my first flight from Houston to Dallas. I'm thinking this is good...I'll be totally worn out so I'll sleep. I in fact do catch a few zzzz's on that 45 minute flight. The only bad thing is that John has called moments before take off and told me that he has been called into a very important meeting with a potential client, so will be unable to meet me at the very busy airport...good times. So, I'm going to have to just deal with my 5 bags (2 carry on and 3 checked) which collectively weigh what feels like 200 pounds alone and somehow figure out how to cart them all around after I clear customs...fabulous.

I get on the 13 hour flight from Dallas to Houston giving myself the "big girl" pep talk...you know the one. Jenn, you are 30 years old, you have moved across the country without knowing anyone, you have gone to Europe all alone, you can do this...how hard can carting 200 pounds worth of luggage in a country where you don't speak the language be...cue "I will survive" music. And remarkably this does boost the spirits and I'm very calm. So I strike up a conversation with the guy sitting next to me (which is ALWAYS a touch and go situation). It's always a good idea to make nice with the person that has the aisle especially when you are going to be in the air for a VERY long time and numerous bathroom breaks are anticipated. However, you don't want to come across as available for conversation for the entire flight and we've all been there...listening to the insessant talking of a total stranger next to you on a plane. He was so nice and come to find out was a Dallas police officer that was taking the flight so that he could get Platinum status on American airlines....that my friends is dedication to the cause. Anyway, couldn't have asked for a better flying companion.

HOWEVER, after yawning for the first hour of flight, drinking at least 2 glasses of wine along with a meal, I slept exactly 0 hours on the 13 hour flight over. So, I get there, it takes like 5 minutes to get through immigration (one of the benefits of being in the front of the plane) and then the moment has arrived...the picking up of the bags....and it turned out to be so perfectly easy.

In Japan they have the system all worked out and there are FREE carts everywhere that you can use to cart your luggage all over the airport. I got my bus ticket with no delay and hopped right on for my hour trek into Tokyo. I even met a very nice girl on the bus that is originally from Mississippi and has been in Tokyo for a year and a half....look at me.

I take the bus (the limo bus...fancy name but still just a bus) to this hotel where my wonderful husband is waiting for me. It was so so great to see John again....absence does indeed make the heart grow fonder. Then we have to walk to our apartment...quite possibly the worst part of the entire trip....10 minutes uphill with all that luggage - terrible. But we made it and I even stayed awake long enough to eat pizza and now it is morning in Tokyo and John and I are going to go explore this new city where we find ourselves.

So, to sum it all up....I made it to Tokyo. Until next time.....Jenn

1 comment:

Renner Romig said...

You have no idea how excited I am to keep up with you on this blog. I have chills just imagining the amazing things you are seeing and doing there! What an absolutely wonderful opportunity for you and John. I look forward to seeing pics when you have time to post them for us. I was just telling Mom tonight at dinner "Jenn should be in Tokyo right now". I Can't wait for the next blog!!!