Thursday, November 13, 2008

Japanese Comedy...Rakugo

So, today my friend Nikki and I decided to check out one of the cultural programs offered by one of the women's groups here in Tokyo. This program was basically a very traditional form of Japanese comedy, but with a twist...it was all in English. Basically, in 1996 Dr. Kimie Oshima started a program to spread the art of Rakugo internationally. To be honest I didn't know what to expect at all....would the Japanese sense of humor be different than my own? Would I "get" the joke?

I'm excited to say that I was really entertained and thought it was hilarious. It was exciting being able to understand something that is so very Japanese. She mentioned that the serious Rakugo masters aren't all on board with performing the Rakugo in English, but she told us that she tries to use the California Roll analogy....she tells them that serious Japanese sushi chefs and lovers don't consider the California Roll sushi, however, the reason most of the world likes sushi is because they tried the California Roll first. I thought that was a good way to look at it.

No comments: