Sunday, January 25, 2009

Whirlwind Week...

And yes, this is where most of you scratch your heads and say, but you don't have a job...yeah, yeah, I know.  But despite that, I have actually, dare I say it, been too busy to think about the blog.  Last weekend we went to sumo and John is taking a large stance that he wants to amuse you with that little Japanese experience.  Let's just say, men in very interesting outfits that do not cover everything so to speak...now your imaginations can do their thing until he gets around to posting.  

Monday, I was all set to get myself finally kicked into gear and start on those New Year's resolutions that I made to get into shape...yes, I know that we are into the last week of January, but really whose counting.  But, my friend Jessie called desperate for someone to help substitute at the school she works at.  So, I scurry off to try my hand at holding the attention of 18 month to two year olds.  It was only for a few hours and the kiddos were way too cute, but what a day.  Just in case you, like me, don't have kids yet, at that age the attention span is very very low.  Thankfully, I was in a classroom with two other wonderful real teachers because we changed what we were doing and rooms every 15 minutes or so.  It was a blast.  

Monday night was also our first Japanese lesson in Tokyo I'm excited and a little embarrassed to say (what's four months without any lessons).  Our sensai was very nice, the material was basically a review, but when she left I told John that I missed Tai san our Dallas teacher.  But with 93 more hours to go, I'm sure it'll be fine....or so I keep telling myself.  In any event, it motivates me to get my apartment spotless as she comes to our house and since she called the cupcakes I had made from the box "beautiful" also motivates me to bake more.  

Tuesday I had lunch plans and babysat.  Wednesday was Bible Study and some Guitar Hero with my friend Nikki, Thursday consisted of more lunch plans and Friday wrapped up the week with yoga.  So, while most days weren't 100% full, I'm happy to report that progress is being made here folks, I am managing to keep myself busy.  

Now, onto Saturday.  We hit the slopes, or hills if you want to get technical, but regardless we saw some snow and got to get a little skiing exercise in.  John and I, along with a few friends of ours, decided to try out a day trip from Tokyo to Gala Ski Resort.  The alarm was set for 5 (yes, even though my regularly scheduled wake up time has in fact gotten earlier, this was still a stretch) in order to get all geared up and fed before making our way via taxi (our sensai will be so proud) to Tokyo station and the shinkansen.  The shinkansen if you will recall is the bullet train that runs various places outside of Tokyo.  Our train wasn't until 7:30am, but we had a non-reserved seat which means you have to wait in line and cross your fingers that you get to sit down.  Thankfully, that wasn't an issue.  I would have been one surly girl if I had to stand an hour and a half...I'll admit it.  The best part was that the station was literally attached to the ski resort.  The bad thing is that we got on the mountain around 10 and had skied every slope by 1.  Regardless, it was a great day and we're now looking forward to our big ski trip in February.  

Here are a few pictures of our day on the slopes for your viewing pleasure.  


Until next time...Jenn

No comments: