Thursday, October 2, 2008

Train Madness

So, the past few days have been a very eye opening experience in regards to the metro and the subway lines. Before Tuesday my days were very much free, so I have been thoroughly enjoying sleeping later than I used to in my career girl life. Well, this week that all changed and John and I were once again sharing bathroom space first thing in the morning. The conference that I told you about started at 8:30am and it's like 30 to 40 minutes away (depending on the shuttle from the metro station).

That being said, I was provided the opportunity to experience the metro in a totally different light. To get to the Tokyo American Club (TAC), I have to get on the Tokyo Metro, ride two stops and then transfer to the JR Yamanote Line. Well, the metro is GREAT...there is plenty of room, no one is obsessively rushing around, all is well with the world. Well....then I transfer to the JR Line to Shinagawa...and my oh my was this a different experience. This was what I refer to as the "true" Japanese metro/subway experience. People EVERYWHERE. We were basically sardines in the metro. And having lived in DC I was used to the sardine experience at rush hour and the mannerisms have some strong similarities....people are sleeping, if you have a seat you don't even look at others for fear that you might see someone that needs priority seating and then you'd have to give up your seat, and a lot of reading or texting. But...once the doors open things change somewhat. People just push and shove their way off the trains...then as you are walking towards the exit I've learned that the best thing to do is look straight ahead and pretend that you don't see all the zillions of people coming straight for you and not changing course because there is no where to go...it is truly an amazing experience.

That being said, I found this and thought it was so awesome.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVFKdZ2N7KI&feature=related I apologize to those of you that can't view you tube at work (where let's face it you are most likely reading our blog). It kind of provides some perspective of what riding on the Tokyo metro/subway is like.

In other exciting news...I had dinner with two other girls. Very exciting. I went from knowing absolutely no one to helping one new friend celebrate her birthday followed up by dinner with different friends. It's all so much to take in (in a good way).

Until next time....Jenn

2 comments:

EEL said...

that's pretty funny. that would stress me out so congrat for accomplishing that. was someone there to push everyone in during rush hour?

Jennifer said...

There are people to push you in for rush hour...but the "regulars" are pretty good at plastering themselves against the door (think smashed faces)