Monday, August 25, 2008

Recapping the last couple of days... Friday

Since Jenn is providing updates from Alaska, I thought I'd provide a quick update on how I spent this past weekend. In hindsight, it was nothing that exciting...

Friday was another of my "transition days" my firm gives me to get stuff squared away after moving. So I checked out of the hotel and moved my stuff over to the apartment. Furnishings in the apartment consist of:
  • a couch.
  • a tv (picking up Japanese tv)
  • a coffee table and end table.
  • a bed and sheets.
  • a dresser

That's it until the rest of our furniture gets here (either through rental or on the boat). It's a bit like camping right now. So Friday was spent picking up some provisions - bread, ham, cheese, paper plates, a cup, a spoon, a towel, etc. I have no microwave and nothing to cook with, so it's been fairly basic foodstuffs.

I managed to pick up most of this stuff at the afore mentioned Don Quijote but I also took a field trip down to Tokyo Hands in Shibuya (thank you Tai-san). It actually has a wikipedia entry. It doesn't have the breadth of products that Don Quijote has (no food for example), but it has more of what it does have (if that makes sense). The reason for going down there was drapes for one bedroom - the sun comes up (or rises, if you will) much earlier here. Since I was just getting over the jet lag I at least wanted to be able to sleep in a bit.

1 comment:

PKB said...

John

Grab one of those constant hot water boiler things - they are cool and are apparently higher on the Japanese necessity list than a microwave. This is the one we have http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NC-EH22PC-7-Quart-Electric-Thermo/dp/B0013O8J6Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1219786020&sr=8-1 - but it was an identical replacement for the one from Japan that I destroyed (I overfilled with water, but now I can at least read the buttons). You'll be set for ramen noodles!